Skip to main content

Toddler Problems and My Some-What Solutions

I was talking with a good friend yesterday about our toddler problems. And she said one of her friends who has older kids had told her recently, “little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems.” I can’t stop thinking about that profound statement as I’ve been living with these little toddler problems having the woe-is-me attitude. I wanted to share our tiny little problems and the things I do to help solve them for anyone that may find them useful or for my future self and future toddlers. These are little problems and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I need this reminder constantly when I feel like I’m sinking.

1. Screaming/ crying in the car. Liza has always been terrible in the car. I keep thinking soon it will end but it hasn’t so far. So, I decided last week for my sanity, any trip longer than 10 minutes I’m giving her a lollipop. And it works like a charm.
2  Up through the night and awake early. I go to bed as soon as I can. Always by 10:30. Some times by 8:15. And I’ve started to cherish those quiet hours rocking my sweet 16 month old- studying her silhouette and her little eyelashes as I sing to her. These days are fleeting. I also get up around 5:30 so that I have time to myself to shower and spend time with Jesus so that my cup is full when she wakes up.
3. Wanting my constant attention while making dinner  I’ve resorted to baking my meals a lot lately and doing the prep work during naptime. That way I don’t have to stand at the stove. But when I do need to be cooking, I put her either on the counter or in her stool and give her an appetizier. Again, works like a charm.
4. Reading. Sophia loves to read. Liza not so much. So I read our bible story with breakfast and naptime story with lunch. That way Liza at least is exposed to a few stories a day, and Sophie also gets to enjoy them. Then throughout the day I try and sneak in a few books with Sophie here and there while Liza is preoccupied.
5. Playdough. I’ve resolved to come to the understanding that my vacuum can sweep up whatever is left behind (because Liza loves to pinch off little pieces and throw them on the floor). It used to stress me out but now I just let her enjoy playing with it and clean up the mess when we’re done.
6. Grocery shopping. Again the lollipop. We’re a sticky mess when we’re done but we stay in the cart and are happy for most of the time. Totally worth it.

These are my biggest problems. And when I write them out I see how silly they are. Lord, please let me realize daily how blessed I am and how these really aren’t even problems but opportunities for me to rely more on your strength, grace, and joy.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Liza

Liza is sick once again. Fever as high as 104 and yesterday was almost constantly wheezing. I encouraged Sophie to pray for Liza after tucking her in to bed last night. When she got up this morning I asked Sophie how she slept and she said “really good and I asked God to make Liza all better!” I knew that if Sophie would pray for Liza, God would show her He hears her prayers. Sure enough, Liza’s breathing is significantly better and she’s barely feverish. Thank you God for hearing her prayers and showing her your presence, faithfulness, and that you hear us.

His Heartbeart's All Mixed Up in Yours

That's what the doctor said as she found our littlest baby's heart beat today. And my heart melted. Isn't that what motherhood is? Our heartbeat's all mixed up with each other? My mom once told me that I am her heart that beats outside her body. I thought that was the sweetest thing to ever say. And then I became a mom myself and realized that's the perfect way to describe my love and devotion to my children. Thank you Lord, for filling my quiver one by one. Truly I am blessed. And thank you for the gift of hearing a new heartbeat today.