Skip to main content

Shoulda' Listened

Yesterday was a bad day. It started out good...I had time to shower and have a long quiet time with Jesus before Liza woke up. We had a fun morning and she went down for her nap easily. Sophie was feeling better finally, after over a week of being very ill with Salmonella. And I had an eye appt at 10:00. Wes was watching the girls and I got to go by myself. I swung into Walmart quick to grab a few staples and ran into some dear friends I hadn't seen in awhile. That totally blessed my day. I had adult conversations with people at the eye doctor which seemed like a mini vacation, and I got done in time to take the girls to storytime at 11:00. I needed to get gas for Wes's little gas tank so he could mow the lawn, so I was trying to be as quick as possible. A little old lady asked me for help pumping (she had grabbed the diesel pump and couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting into her car). Sweet dear women. Anyways, amongst pumping and helping her, I must have left my wallet on top of my van and drove off like that. When I got home, I realized that I didn't have my wallet. Wes was already bringing the girls out to me to take to storytime and I explained to Sophie first I needed to look for my wallet. So, we drove back to the gas station and retraced my steps home looking along the road for where it may have fell. I called Wes when I was almost home and told him I was just going to come home and work on canceling our bank cards. He told me to just go to storytime and not worry about it, that he would go out looking for it. I was frustrated and flustered and asked him if I could just go with him to look. We retraced my steps again and couldn't find it. Within 10 minutes of getting back home, Wes's coworker called him and told him someone turned in my wallet to City Hall. I had already cancelled my debit card and now was so frustrated with myself for doing that because I would have to change all my online payments that are linked to my card. But, I was so thankful. Thankful I didn't have to get a new license, new insurance cards, new library card, etc. I apologized to Wes for getting upset and he said "should'a listened to me" (and just gone to storytime). He was right of course, because by not going to storytime I had upset Sophia terribly and disappointed her. Storytime is like the highlight of her week and I felt awful. I shoulda listened.

When it was time for Liza's nap, she insisted that Wes be the one to put her down. She's so adorable and also a little annoying about that. If she blows him a kiss goodnight and I take her up to her room, she starts to cry "dadda, dadda!!!" So without trying to be too bossy or controlling as a mom, I asked Wes to please turn her fan on because it was warming up outside and she gets hot easily. 40 minutes later, she was awake. Furious and screaming. I tried everything to get her back to sleep but nothing worked. Wes had put a blanket on her and I think she either got too hot or couldn't cover herself back up. We've had many conversations about not using a blanket anymore because every time we do, this happens. As he was leaving for work and I had a tear-stricken toddler looking at him I said "shoulda listened to me!"

The whole time I had lost my wallet I felt the Lord speaking to me to have peace, that it would be found. But I chose to be frustrated and anxious instead. As it turns out, my wallet was returned but my bank cards were missing. Thankfully, I did cancel my cards and now had the rest of my wallet. And maybe the blanket issue isn't what woke Liza up anyways. But the point is. We both have valuable input and wisdom to share with one another. And it is so important that we listen to one another. That we respect each other, verbalized that we hear what the other person is saying, and actually take their advice because mostly, usually, more likely than not, they are right.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Liza

Liza is sick once again. Fever as high as 104 and yesterday was almost constantly wheezing. I encouraged Sophie to pray for Liza after tucking her in to bed last night. When she got up this morning I asked Sophie how she slept and she said “really good and I asked God to make Liza all better!” I knew that if Sophie would pray for Liza, God would show her He hears her prayers. Sure enough, Liza’s breathing is significantly better and she’s barely feverish. Thank you God for hearing her prayers and showing her your presence, faithfulness, and that you hear us.

His Heartbeart's All Mixed Up in Yours

That's what the doctor said as she found our littlest baby's heart beat today. And my heart melted. Isn't that what motherhood is? Our heartbeat's all mixed up with each other? My mom once told me that I am her heart that beats outside her body. I thought that was the sweetest thing to ever say. And then I became a mom myself and realized that's the perfect way to describe my love and devotion to my children. Thank you Lord, for filling my quiver one by one. Truly I am blessed. And thank you for the gift of hearing a new heartbeat today.

Toddler Problems and My Some-What Solutions

I was talking with a good friend yesterday about our toddler problems. And she said one of her friends who has older kids had told her recently, “little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems.” I can’t stop thinking about that profound statement as I’ve been living with these little toddler problems having the woe-is-me attitude. I wanted to share our tiny little problems and the things I do to help solve them for anyone that may find them useful or for my future self and future toddlers. These are little problems and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I need this reminder constantly when I feel like I’m sinking. 1. Screaming/ crying in the car. Liza has always been terrible in the car. I keep thinking soon it will end but it hasn’t so far. So, I decided last week for my sanity, any trip longer than 10 minutes I’m giving her a lollipop. And it works like a charm. 2  Up through the night and awake early. I go to bed as soon as I can. Always by 10:30. Some times by 8