Skip to main content

Insomnia

When Liza was an infant, she would wake up around 2 or 3am and no matter what I did, she would stay awake for a solid two hours. Every night. It was like as soon as the 2 hour mark hit she was fast asleep, but could not fall asleep before that. When she was about 6 months old I started to do some serious research on sleep training and finally realized crying it out was an option and worth a try. It had never occurred to me before, I think partially because I would run into her room at the first sound she made when she was first born, because I didn't want her to wake up Sophia. And then for some reason, I just continued to do that. Well after a few nights of sleep training, I had a baby who became an excellent sleeper. We can lay her down wide awake and she can talk herself to sleep and if she happens to wake up at night, she is able to put herself right back to sleep. She doesn't need a nuk, she doesn't need a bottle, she doesn't need rocked. But, after I got her sleep trained, I realized I needed sleep trained! I was used to being up for two hours in the middle of the night every night. So it's been a long few months as I've tried different things but unable to consistently sleep through the night- and by that I mean when I wake up to go to the bathroom, or wake up to Wes getting home, one of the dogs needing out, or Sophie needing something- being able to fall right back asleep. Usually I'm up for 1-2 hours and I just haven't been able to find a solution without using either Melatonin or Benadryl. Until a few nights ago.

Often I would pray, "Lord your Word says in Psalms 127:2, you give your beloved sleep, please Lord give me sleep!" Some times I could fall asleep praying. I started going through the list of Wes's fellow officers but often would get through them all and still be wide awake. And then the Lord gave me the idea to listen to scripture when I couldn't fall asleep. So I started doing that for bedtime, in the middle of the night,  and naps and it hasn't failed me once. There are times I'm laying there feeling so wide awake and within minutes I fall asleep listening to The Word of God. It makes so much sense too. That His Words would quiet me and sing me to sleep. Just as it says in Zephaniah 3:17. While listening I really try and pay attention- to focus on each word. I'm so thankful that right now, I am getting a good nights sleep and able to go to The Lord many times a night and have His Word on my heart and mind as I drift off to sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“If you happen to be in town...”

... would you go to prom with me?” 11 years ago Wes asked me that question over the phone and it changed our relationship, and our lives, forever. That’s another story for another time. But almost 4 years ago, one of the first nights after bringing Sophia home from the hospital, Wes repeated that question and I just wept openly. I could weep now just thinking about it. He said it because we both couldn’t believe this life God has given us. Amazed at the love story He’s written us. Amazed at how we now had a child together. Making babies, being parents, raising children for the Lord, it’s exhausting and definitely a strain on marriage at times. But more than that, it is a new level of intimacy and fun that you just can’t experience without kids. Since Sophia, we journeyed through a miscarriage which also drew us closer and bonded us in a new way, Liza’s pregnancy and now almost two years of life, and in 8 days we will be holding our newest baby, Lydia June. As we prepare for her birth o...

Shoulda' Listened

Yesterday was a bad day. It started out good...I had time to shower and have a long quiet time with Jesus before Liza woke up. We had a fun morning and she went down for her nap easily. Sophie was feeling better finally, after over a week of being very ill with Salmonella. And I had an eye appt at 10:00. Wes was watching the girls and I got to go by myself. I swung into Walmart quick to grab a few staples and ran into some dear friends I hadn't seen in awhile. That totally blessed my day. I had adult conversations with people at the eye doctor which seemed like a mini vacation, and I got done in time to take the girls to storytime at 11:00. I needed to get gas for Wes's little gas tank so he could mow the lawn, so I was trying to be as quick as possible. A little old lady asked me for help pumping (she had grabbed the diesel pump and couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting into her car). Sweet dear women. Anyways, amongst pumping and helping her, I must have left my w...

Denny’s

I recently discovered that kids eat free on Tuesday nights at Denny’s, so for the past two weeks, I’ve taken the girls there and we’ve had such a delightful time eating out and enjoying each other. With Wes on 3-11, I often lack motivation to cook a nice meal for just the three of us, and I also get lonely. So I thought this would be a great thing to do with the girls- enjoy a hot meal and each other’s company out in public. I hope to keep it a tradition if we’re able. Sometimes we read books while we wait for our food, and other times the girls play with figurines, sometimes I play and sometimes I just sit back and watch them amazed by their sweetness, cuteness, and creativity. It’s teaching them manners and how to behave in public. And it’s teaching me to slow down and enjoy them. We shared many laughs together tonight and I think it’s safe to say, we are all going to bed with our cup full.