Skip to main content

Christmas Tea

Recently I read an incredible book called “The Lifegiving Table” by Sally Clarkson. One of the things she does every year is have a Christmas Tea as a way of celebrating her friendships. She invites her closest friends over every year around Christmas as a way of thanking them. I thought that was a great idea and something I could do. So I made a list of my closest kindred spirits and sent out an invitation. My mother-in-law is amazing and had the girls the whole day of the Tea so I could prepare both my home and the food and then they also spent the night at her house so I could rest the next morning. That was a wonderful gift and I’m so thankful for her because it allowed me to also really enjoy and be refreshed by the evening. And it was so much fun.

We started out mingling and then filled our plates and mugs and sat around our dining room table and chatted all together for almost three hours. I had a few questions lined up to help conversation flow and to help us learn from one another. One question was, “what is a lesson of wisdom you have learned this past year?” And the answers have given me lots to ponder since. One of my friends has a husband who has ALS. She is a constant inspiration to me as she has two young boys and loves Jesus passionately through it all. She said she’s learning that whenever you ask “why?” (As in why me, why is this happening?) the answer is always “to make known the glory of God”. I can’t get that out of my head. But that is so true and I’m so encouraged by her. Everything we do, how we respond and how we act in spite of our circumstances, it’s all about bringing glory to God. Simple yet so profound that I can’t stop thinking about it and realizing how much I need to grow. Another friend said she’s learning to reach out in community with others and she’s being very intentional about that. They just bought a house after living in an apartment for their whole married life (and they have three young kids). She is using her home so intentionally to form community. Just last night their family had the girls and I over for dinner while Wes was working and we left so refreshed and so blessed. One of my dear mentors at the table said she’s looking for ways to reach out to her physical neighbors. Oh yes. That’s a good one. Lord, help me with that. And finally the last gen of wisdom I gleaned from that night was from a sweet college girl who said the highlight of her year was the vacation she took with her family, and we all had a nice long conversation about the importance of vacations. They are expensive but that they are always worth it and so important. I’m starting to scheme up our first annual Alexander family of 5, 2018 vacation and I can’t wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Liza

Liza is sick once again. Fever as high as 104 and yesterday was almost constantly wheezing. I encouraged Sophie to pray for Liza after tucking her in to bed last night. When she got up this morning I asked Sophie how she slept and she said “really good and I asked God to make Liza all better!” I knew that if Sophie would pray for Liza, God would show her He hears her prayers. Sure enough, Liza’s breathing is significantly better and she’s barely feverish. Thank you God for hearing her prayers and showing her your presence, faithfulness, and that you hear us.

Toddler Problems and My Some-What Solutions

I was talking with a good friend yesterday about our toddler problems. And she said one of her friends who has older kids had told her recently, “little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems.” I can’t stop thinking about that profound statement as I’ve been living with these little toddler problems having the woe-is-me attitude. I wanted to share our tiny little problems and the things I do to help solve them for anyone that may find them useful or for my future self and future toddlers. These are little problems and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I need this reminder constantly when I feel like I’m sinking. 1. Screaming/ crying in the car. Liza has always been terrible in the car. I keep thinking soon it will end but it hasn’t so far. So, I decided last week for my sanity, any trip longer than 10 minutes I’m giving her a lollipop. And it works like a charm. 2  Up through the night and awake early. I go to bed as soon as I can. Always by 10:30. Some times by 8

His Heartbeart's All Mixed Up in Yours

That's what the doctor said as she found our littlest baby's heart beat today. And my heart melted. Isn't that what motherhood is? Our heartbeat's all mixed up with each other? My mom once told me that I am her heart that beats outside her body. I thought that was the sweetest thing to ever say. And then I became a mom myself and realized that's the perfect way to describe my love and devotion to my children. Thank you Lord, for filling my quiver one by one. Truly I am blessed. And thank you for the gift of hearing a new heartbeat today.