Skip to main content

Serving God, the Best Medicine

In college, a few of my friends and I were obsessed with Elisabeth Elliott and mostly her book, "Passion and Purity". I remember Betsy talking about how when she was lonely she looked for opportunities to serve God by loving and serving others-  and that cured the loneliness. I've thought of this often since then and have found it true in my own life.

Yesterday, my doctor's office called and said they saw two different subchorionic hematomas on my ultrasound. This was totally out of the blue and something I have never heard before. I felt confused and in shock. I've already been a little on edge this week as I'm 11 weeks along. That's when we lost our second baby. So I've just been living with a dark cloud over my head for the past few days with a fear of impending doom. I was pretty emotional and so I tried to explain it to Sophie that we just really need to be praying that the new baby stays healthy and strong. She told me as we prayed, "Mommy, Majo will be praying too and that will make the baby all better." I love that she sees such faith in her Majo and knows without a doubt Majo is praying for this baby. Then she also told me that she's sure her uncles will pray too even though they are away at school. And later when I stopped crying she asked if I felt all better and I tried to explain to her the peace of God and the trust I have in Him. She has been learning about the fruit of the spirit in her Sunday School, so I've been looking for ways to describe what they are. I'm so thankful the Lord opened the door to explain peace. After we talked about it, Sophie said, "Mommy God will make your baby all better. And then your baby can pop out! He will go in with His own, boy doctor stuff to make the baby all better." And when we were praying before bed she thanked God for the baby being all better. Ah I adore her and her faith and sweetness! 

But back to the serving. I had planned to take Sophie with me to help our church with an outreach on our local college campus- scooping free ice cream. It was past her bedtime but I thought it would be a good opportunity to talk about serving because we want to share God's love. When I first got the phone call I didn't want to go out. I just wanted to stay in my cozy house with my cozy husband and cozy pajamas and cozy TV. But then I remembered Betsy's advice and decided it would help me tremendously by going. And it did. I went to bed with joy in my heart. And greatful for a sweet girl who teaches me and helps me in my walk with the Lord daily. I had just told someone today that I think trusting God means that even if your worse fear comes true, you know in your heart it will all be okay because God is always good. And then you have peace because really there is nothing to fear since God is always good. Peace that surpasses understanding... 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“If you happen to be in town...”

... would you go to prom with me?” 11 years ago Wes asked me that question over the phone and it changed our relationship, and our lives, forever. That’s another story for another time. But almost 4 years ago, one of the first nights after bringing Sophia home from the hospital, Wes repeated that question and I just wept openly. I could weep now just thinking about it. He said it because we both couldn’t believe this life God has given us. Amazed at the love story He’s written us. Amazed at how we now had a child together. Making babies, being parents, raising children for the Lord, it’s exhausting and definitely a strain on marriage at times. But more than that, it is a new level of intimacy and fun that you just can’t experience without kids. Since Sophia, we journeyed through a miscarriage which also drew us closer and bonded us in a new way, Liza’s pregnancy and now almost two years of life, and in 8 days we will be holding our newest baby, Lydia June. As we prepare for her birth o...

Shoulda' Listened

Yesterday was a bad day. It started out good...I had time to shower and have a long quiet time with Jesus before Liza woke up. We had a fun morning and she went down for her nap easily. Sophie was feeling better finally, after over a week of being very ill with Salmonella. And I had an eye appt at 10:00. Wes was watching the girls and I got to go by myself. I swung into Walmart quick to grab a few staples and ran into some dear friends I hadn't seen in awhile. That totally blessed my day. I had adult conversations with people at the eye doctor which seemed like a mini vacation, and I got done in time to take the girls to storytime at 11:00. I needed to get gas for Wes's little gas tank so he could mow the lawn, so I was trying to be as quick as possible. A little old lady asked me for help pumping (she had grabbed the diesel pump and couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting into her car). Sweet dear women. Anyways, amongst pumping and helping her, I must have left my w...

Denny’s

I recently discovered that kids eat free on Tuesday nights at Denny’s, so for the past two weeks, I’ve taken the girls there and we’ve had such a delightful time eating out and enjoying each other. With Wes on 3-11, I often lack motivation to cook a nice meal for just the three of us, and I also get lonely. So I thought this would be a great thing to do with the girls- enjoy a hot meal and each other’s company out in public. I hope to keep it a tradition if we’re able. Sometimes we read books while we wait for our food, and other times the girls play with figurines, sometimes I play and sometimes I just sit back and watch them amazed by their sweetness, cuteness, and creativity. It’s teaching them manners and how to behave in public. And it’s teaching me to slow down and enjoy them. We shared many laughs together tonight and I think it’s safe to say, we are all going to bed with our cup full.